A few days back, I realized something important when a 20-year-old asked me, why are you not stressed? It was that instant that made me write more about student life and emotional intelligence. The ongoing journey of my student and travel life has pumped me to make a mission of helping as many as students and raise them above from a stressful life.
Everyone around the student usually talks about IQ which constitutes majorly about there intelligence and intellectual ability which is fine but in this competitive spirit of developing there IQ, most of our student and a young population have messed up their emotional intelligence. When a student spends his precious 4-5 years in an educational institute in learning and managing things, it is supposed or expected for a student to have a strong emotional intelligence along with intellectual ability. But the system has completely failed in helping students in developing their Emotional intelligence. There is no doubt about it, as seen by the facts related to student mental health problems.
More education should be directly proportional to more calm mindset and controlled emotional state.
The primary thing that a student can do while running their university life is to maximize there impact in developing emotional intelligence and learning to enjoy the process. Enjoying the process is a kind of trait that comes with increased self-awareness.
Student life consumes the maximum days of your life as you spend almost 20 years until you are graduated, so you need double down the work on the traits and tools that will increase your emotional strength. I have been working on it for a significant period of time especially when I started working and studying in new countries which made me realize more about my emotional stability which usually decides your overall output in both professional and personal life. I am spending enough hours on understanding the patterns of my emotions and how it impacts my work output. We know that there is a lack of tools in the system as there is no standard method which defines the strategy to help students strengthing the fundamentals of emotional stability instead the system is shaking and cracking up their emotional stability
The way the world is transforming with fast communication, fast transportation, fast information, fast processing, we should make Emotional intelligence (EI) the topmost priority for all the students. Looking at the statistical figures of student mental health crisis pumps me more to dig up deep and test different tools on myself to understand this aspect of life which we “Including all the stakeholders” involved directly or indirectly with students have neglected for years. I think it is high time to define the baseline of emotional intelligence for the students, develop proper and significant tools to understand and improvise their EI. I truly believe that students with strong EI will bring harmony and balance in the ongoing disrupted student university life.
However, at the moment, nobody is giving importance to EI as it is not achievable with visual tools like the gym. And most of the students are hiding their emotions in the competitive spirit which is making it more worse for there overall life. It is hard to discuss, debate or teach the Emotional intelligence as most of the information is dispersed and is not available in the single library like the information is available on subjects like physics, chemistry or social science.
Working on EI will allow students to set the fundamental base of their life in the early years before heading to professional life. For ex: I have met so many people who are successful and making good money in professional life but have completely messed up their emotional health due to lack of awareness about Emotional Intelligence. Forex: Being a student, my EI allowed me to give back to the new freshers in undergraduate and master school in the University where most students are competing with each other just to be on the top of the class. Talking to new students and helping them out will build up your EI in multiple ways. EI is a whole new subject which can be understood as an individual by trying different strategies and testing them in new situations where your EI is at stake.
Making your EI as the biggest strength will help a student in living a “HAPPY SUCCESSFUL LIFE”.
GRADES ARE TEMPORARY, SOME NUMBERS ON A PIECE OF PAPER BUT EI IS THE BASE OF STUDENT EMOTIONAL HEALTH. IT IS TIME FOR STUDENTS, UNIVERSITIES AND RESEARCH INSTITUTES JOIN FORCES TO WORK ON BUILDING TOOLS FOR STUDENT EMOTIONAL HEALTH.
Consistent working on EI of a student will break down the negative trend of thoughts and decisions and will help him/her upregulate the self-esteem and self-confidence. It can help the student understand the real meaning of education. The student will become a great executor of both life and any skills that he/she will learn.
Skills are always changing with the advancement in technology but EI is constant.
EI will help the student to ease down at the troublesome period while understanding the importance of a long game. Students will strong EI will provide there support to the students in need rather than competing with them.
However, I recognize the utmost need for a student to work on there EI, is to increase the overall input in improvising the existing strengths. The best way is to become self-aware which will come with testing and trying new things. Emotional intelligence has to go in parallel with your intellectual ability to solve desk or professional tasks. The takeaway from the article is to practice the idea of testing and trying different things to become more self-aware which will enhance your emotional intelligence.
Some tips that I used to work on my Emotional Strengths
- Don`t get too caught up or stressed up because of exams and assignments. We already know that we get limited energy in a day, Let’s say, you have 100 units/day which should be appropriately distributed to get sufficient marks and other independent projects that you want to create. Build up your skill sets especially that deals with communication and human relations. Being stuck in the cycle of assignments and exams is not an intelligent strategy in today’s world. It is neither gonna build your professional skills nor EI.
- When you face a problem or set back, don’t drop all your projects or ideas. Let that pressure build up, but be aware of it and try to meet it on the same day. Some things that you are doing in your University time should be entirely for joy and happiness which could be designing a unique fitness flow, writing or art, and craft. So, the only advice is to take it easy and enjoy the process of working while you are overflowing with confusing emotions.
- Most of the students at the University have COMMON habits or routines. Therefore, getting into the trap of ordinary routine is an evil plan that usually destroys your unique and weird ideas. BREAK IT, COME OUT OF IT.
- Pay proper attention to your supervisors and team members. The power of attentive listening is enormous. I understood the importance of listening while working as an Undergraduate researcher or intern which gave me the essential tips and information. We are living in the age of information. Clear information only comes if you are an attentive listener. A good relationship with a senior student will provide you material and further teach you with the skills that you might need.
- Build your social circle and relationships wisely- Good relationships and good friends will help you in the troublesome period. They are the major components of your personal and professional life.
- It is important to ask yourself the difference between 70% and 80% marks. How much time are you investing to increase your grades? And How much time are you investing in building your EI?
- All students cannot be equal in one thing. Everyone cannot become a topper or crack competitive exams. There is a tremendous difference between you all who have significant abilities to uplift your life unimaginably. It will only happen if you learn to enjoy the process and enhance your EI.
- Spread your learnings and knowledge with new students in University- This will increase your network and collaboration with other students.