Faro is my first foreign city and Portugal is my first foreign country. I am going to start my first semester of Erasmus masters in University of Algarve. The process to apply for Portuguese visa is not complex but takes a lot of time as compared to other countries.
Here are the documents required if you are applying for student visa
- Application form
- Passport size photos
- Bank statement for past 6 months
- Flight tickets
- Proof of accommodation
- Police clearance certificate (English/Portuguese)
- Legalised/Apostille Documents (Diploma and Transcripts)
- Offer letter from the university
- Letter from your sponsor (University/ Parents)
- Identity proof of your parents in case they are sponsoring you
- Cover letter explaining the purpose and plan of your study program
- Copies of communication/transactions with the university
- Health and travel insurance
How to prepare all your documents
- Police clearance certificate (PCC) – You can apply for your PCC online using this Delhi Police website.
- Cover Letter- It should clearly mention the following points
- Study period and plan
- Brief Educational background
- Purpose – Interest and Future Prospects
- Fees Structure
- Brief about your insurance policy
- Sponsorship letter – A letter from your University or parent stating that they are responsible to bear all the expenses. Also, attach the identity proof of your parents, if they are financing your studies.
- Health and travel insurance – I got my insurance done by Bajaj Allianz Insurance Company and its price was Rs 7000 that covers you for 100,000 USD for one year.
The process of applying for visa has become quite simple these days as the embassies have hired the VFS office to collect and process all the documents before the interview at embassy which reduces the load of paper work on embassy. I had enough time to apply for visa and I already had collected all my documents in advance. It is ideal to apply for Portuguese student (Short term/long term) prior to 45-50 days. I could have booked the appointment on my own but I approached the Perfect Visa consultancy service, Janakpuri, Delhi as it was my first time. The consultancy helped me in scheduling the appointment with VFS office and aligning all the documents as required. They charged me with Rs 2200 which I believe is too much but can`t help it. But after reading this blog, I don’t think that you need to approach any visa consultancy.
There is no hustle in booking the appointment but make sure that you have all the documents ready. You can book your appointment using this link.
Remember to reach the VFS office only prior to 15 minutes of your interview time. VFS office, Delhi is located at Baba Kharak Singh Marg, Connaught place and the nearest metro station is Rajiv Chowk. Take exit from gate 7,8. They will check your documents and give you the interview date as per your travel dates.
The whole process will take 30-45 days.
Enjoy Portugal 😀