Are you an Indian going to abroad for higher studies in Europe or other foreign countries? You will be required to submit apostilled or legalised documents (Educational certificates, police clearance certificate etc) to finalise your admission. It is essential to get your documents legalised by Ministry of External Affairs to consider your documents legal in foreign countries. Apostille is an official stamp that makes your documents completely legal in 105 member countries who have signed the Hague Convention.
Legalisation of documents is a two-step process
- Attestation of documents at State Level- All the documents are required to be authenticated at state/union territory level from where the documents have been issued. For ex: I have completed my studies from Amity University, Noida and for that I had to go to HRD, Lucknow for attestation of my documents.
Documents you need to ready for state level attestation in Lucknow
- Couple of passport size photographs
- Appointment/admission letter from foreign authority
- Original and photocopy of your Passport
- Original and photocopy of documents (diploma, marksheet etc) that you need to get attested.
- An affidavit that will be made in Family Court, Lucknow near to Jay Bharat Cinema. The process will take 30 mins to 1 hour and will cost less Rs 300.
Location of HRD, Lucknow- Vidhan Sabha, Gate no-9
Timings – Documents are submitted between 12:00 PM till 2:00 PM and are collected between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM on the same day. Pretty efficient 😉
- Legalisation of Documents – After your documents are attested by HRD department, Ministry of external affairs legalises your documents by putting an apostille sticker. The important point to note is that since july,2012 Ministry of external affairs do not entertain individuals therefore they have outsourced the collection and delivery of documents for apostille. There are four authenticated agencies in
- BLS international Services – http://www.blsinternational.com/
- IVS Global Services – http://www.ivsglobal.in/
- Superb Enterprises – http://superbenterprisesindia.com/
- VFS Global Attestation – http://www.vfsattestation.com/
Officials in Patiala House cannot legalise your documents. They do not have any official authority. So please do not go there and follow the above procedure to get your documents legalised in a legitimate way.